Serve As One is a community service partnership of a group of Christian churches in the Capital Region. Through a united effort, these churches strive to show God’s love by practical acts of service, with a focus on adding value to individuals who are underserved and struggling.
Serve As One “Fall ’23 Serving Event” on September 30
‘Capital Region Focus’
(See Q&A section below for specific locations, description of projects and more.)
Serve As One will be partnering with and serving the following organizations:
- Capital City Rescue Mission (Albany)
- Alpha Pregnancy Care Center
- Koinonia Medical Care (Albany)
- Joseph’s House and Shelter (Troy)
- Unity House (Troy)
- Connect Center for Youth (Cohoes)
- Captain Community Human Services (Clifton Park)
- Mechanicville Area Community Service Center
- Gateway House of Peace (Ballston Spa)
- Franklin Community Center (Saratoga Springs)
The following organizations will be serving:
- Terra Nova of Troy
- Grace Fellowship (All 3 Campuses)
- Loudonville Community Church
- Alpha Pregnancy Care Center (Albany)
TO VOLUNTEER: Please click here to sign up.
You’ve got questions? We’ve got answers!
What is the schedule for September 30?
Arrive at your selected Project Site: 8:30am – 8:45am (Donuts provided at each site)
Orientation & Assignments: 8:45am – 9:00am
Projects: 9:00am – 11:30am
Clean up, Debrief and Depart: 11:30am – Noon
NOTE: This is a RAIN or SHINE event, unless the weather is severe. (If cancelled, you will receive notification by email no later than 9:00pm on September 29. Otherwise, it’s a go)!☺
Where will we be working and what will we be doing?
We will be working at nine (9) different sites throughout the Capital Region. You will have the opportunity to indicate your preferred site when you sign up on a first come basis.
- Capital City Rescue Mission (259 South Pearl Street, Albany; Parking is on the street):
- Food prep. cleaning (mainly inside), light maintenance items.
- Alpha Pregnancy Care Center/Koinonia Medical Care (518 Clinton Street, Albany; Parking is on the street):
- Fall clean up, trimming, pruning, raking.
- Joseph’s House & Shelter (202 4th Street, Troy; Parking is on the street):
- Fall lawn clean up, sorting / organizing donated items.
- Unity House (435 4th Street, Troy; Parking is on the street):
- Painting (int & ext projects), landscaping and fall clean up, various repair and fix it items.
- Connect Center for Youth (49 Johnston Ave, Cohoes; Parking is on the street and the parking lot on premises):
- Interior painting of a large community room floor (scraping, priming and painting)
- Captain Cheryl’s Lodge (25 Fern Lane, Clifton Park; parking is on premises):
- Fall clean up, trimming, pruning, landscaping planting beds, pressure washing, painting.
- Mechanicville Area Community Service Center (6 South Main Street; parking is on the street and on premises):
- Lawn work, weeding, raking, mowing, planting beds.
- Gateway House of Peace (479 Rowland Street, Ballston Spa; parking is on premises):
- Outside clean up, lawn work, help at thrift store, light painting.
- Franklin Community Center (10 Franklin St., Saratoga Springs; parking is on the street):
- Landscaping including decorative stone install and paver install for two patio type areas.
How many people will be serving?
We have identified a total of approximately 150 volunteer slots, between all nine (9) sites, which will be filled on a first come basis. Once a site is FULL, that will be noted on the Sign-Up form.
What should I bring and wear?
The most important things you can bring are humility and flexibility ☺ Please wear suitable work clothes and shoes anticipating they will get dirty, wet and/or stained. Bring work gloves and a water bottle if you prefer your own, otherwise we will have gloves and bottled water as needed.
Serve As One T-shirts will be provided to all volunteers. If you sign up for a site that is doing yard work, please bring lawn tools if you have them, otherwise Serve as One will be providing tools. Please label your tools clearly.
Can I bring my kids?
The short answer is YES! We strongly encourage families to serve together. But we also want to be safe and smart and would ask parents to use their best discretion. Although there is no formal minimum age, our experience would indicate a minimum age of 6 or 7 makes sense in most situations. Please note that anyone under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times during the event. When you sign up to register for the event, please be sure to include information about each child that you planning to bring.
Have a look at some of our teams at work!
Based on the huge popularity of the first Music Fence built by SAO in 2018 for Unity House’s preschool in North Troy, SAO was invited to build a similar music fence for the playground at their Albany preschool location.read more
On October 26, 2019, SAO did a small scale serving event in the City of Troy with volunteers at three (3) different locations. One of those locations was Joseph’s House & Shelter…read more
On October 26, 2019, SAO did a small scale serving event in the City of Troy with volunteers at three (3) different locations. One of those locations was Unity House’s main location (“Front Door”) where…read more
On October 26, 2019, SAO did a small scale serving event in the City of Troy with volunteers at three (3) different locations. One of those locations Unity House’s Community Residence …read more
In partnership with the City of Albany and with support from Albany 518 SNUG, Serve as one had the unique opportunity to assist in clean up of fireworks debris in several neighborhoods in the City of Albany.read more
In a true collaborative effort, Serve as One partnered with the City of Cohoes and several Cohoes churches to do a major painting and spruce up of the City’s Lansing Park, home of their premier outdoor community pool.read more
For our 2nd annual “Big Event” we had the privilege or partnering with two wonderful community organizations: Captain Community Human Services in Saratoga County and Jezreel International in Albany.read more
With a focus on adding value to the Troy community referred to as “Hillside North” (north of Hoosick Street), Serve As One built a 10 ft x 12 ft storage shed at TRIP’s satellite office on 10th Street. SAO also…read more
Serve As One has been privileged on several occasions to serve this vibrant preschool of some 130 kids in the south end of Troy.read more